Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Change has Come!

History was made today, thankfully. The "Education President" has left the building and as an educator, I shed a tear of joy and breathed a sigh of relief. Once again we have a leader who is literate. I am confident that President Obama will embrace the English language with such passion as to not feel the need to make up his own words. A student asked me today what Bush will do now. I answered, "He will write a book...um, er...he will hire someone to write a book."


All of the country's education issues will not be solved overnight. I am saddened how many parents have raised their children to be uninformed teenagers. This morning a student, after seeing the Obamas on television leave the Nineteenth Street Baptist Church, wanted to know when the footage was taped because, "church is only open on Sundays and Wednesdays". Teachers cannot do this alone. I will give a big shout out to the Chief Justice for the teachable moment he gifted to all of the English teachers watching with their classes today. It was the perfect opportunity to highlight how adverbs can be moved around and not change the meaning of the sentence.

No comments: